An Auto Insurance Update
Auto accidents are no fun. They cause injury, damage, and a lot of stress. However, the good news is that if you bought auto insurance from our agency you have the best possible combination of coverage, price, and service. You buy auto insurance to protect yourself in the event you are in an accident, and we are here to help you through the claims process.
Over the years, we have seen just about every kind of accident and response. We thought it might be beneficial to talk about what not to do after an accident.
- Do not get upset or angry. Stay calm and make sure everyone is unhurt.
- Try not to move the vehicle unless damage is minor and you can exchange information parked on the side of the road.
- Never accept money from the liable party, rather than filing a claim.
- Do not leave the scene. Stay on the scene until the matter is settled. In some areas, you may be required to call the police, even for minor incidents. Other times you may just need to file a report later.
- Never admit an accident was your fault, even if you think it was. An apology can be construed as an admission of fault. Let the authorities determine who was responsible. Auto accidents can be disorienting even if you are not physically injured. You may not be aware of all factors leading up to the crash.
- Don’t forget to document everything. Take photos and get contact information from all parties involved, including any witnesses.
At Leap / Carpenter / Kemps, Merced County’s largest locally-owned agency, we have an experienced staff of professionals who understand that each family has unique insurance needs and that the one-size-fits-all approach just doesn’t work. Our agents have access to more carriers and more plans, and that means that they have more options – including multiple policy discounts and preferred premium pricing – to create the best possible combination of coverage to protect your family while lowering your costs.